Here you'll find a selection of helpful how-to guides and videos to help you achieve that perfect finish for your next project. To continue, please specify the area of the house you are working on from the interactive map below.
How to fill cracks, chips and holes in exterior mortar, concrete and brick surfaces
Slight movement and settling of houses over time can result in unsightly cracks appearing on rendered surfaces. Unfortunately painting over these cracks rarely covers them up entirely. Itís important that cracks and chips in exterior masonry surfaces are properly filled prior to painting to ensure a perfect finish.
- Polyfilla Exterior Masonry
- A flexible filling blade
- Ensure surfaces are clean and free from dust, grease, mould/algae and flaking paint or powdery material. If necessary wash with Poly Sugar Soap and allow surface to dry.
- Apply Polyfilla Exterior Masonry firmly using your filling blade. Scrape off any excess to save time sanding. Allow to dry for 2ñ3 hrs in thin 2ñ3mm applications depending on humidity. For deeper jobs apply in 10mm layers, allowing each layer to dry completely before applying the rest.
- Protect from rain until dry. If required, paint with a quality exterior coating. For a render texture, smooth out with trowel or filling blade when applying the product and do not sand. For a smoother texture, sand surface after drying.
- For best results, apply undercoat before applying water or oil based exterior top coat.